Working on a new postcard since I haven't sent one out to ADs since winter-ish. Here's the first sketch it all its sketchiness. I've added some photos with comments on my process and the final scan of the painting at the end.
My hand has a tendency to drag to the right, so my initial sketches droop somewhat. When I want something symmetrical, I have to sometimes scan it in and flip it to see where the lopsidedness is. Then I can straighten it out and darken the new line for the transfer to watercolor board.
Transferred to board. Washing in color. These are photos so the white gets lost a little. Colors aren't quite true.
One thing that bothered me about the above painting is the water was too green. I wanted it to be translucent, but the yellow was showing through too much, so I added a more opaque blue over it all.
Tightened up the foreground and filled in background. I changed the color of the little girl's bathing suit so she'd stand out more against all the yellow and blue. I absolutely hated the candy striped barrier behind the candy-striped tents, so I painted over it with acrylic in the next painting and added colorful flags instead.
Below is the final scan, which captures the brush strokes and detail a little better than the above photos. I added some reflections on the yellow wall of the slide and tightened up a few details with the little girl. Photoshop is great for brightening the image and playing with levels so I could get the crisp white light of a summer day. I like the flags so much better because I can see more of the sandy beach behind the tents. There are a few things I might have done differently, but this is okay for now. On to the next painting. :)